Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2014

2nd Time Try Joining Indonesian Institute of Science

Indonesian Institute of Science Center Building 
Talking about what kinds of efforts we have done to achieve something in this world must become endless story. I believe that every person has their own way to make their dreams come true, so do I. And now I would like to tell you my story when I was joining competition to become a part of Indonesian Institute of Science family. Why do I join this competition while I’m still working as staff of BASARHUT (Bakti Sarjana Kehutanan) in Rinjani Timur Forest Management Unit? Then one of my answers is “dream”. Yes! Dream. That’s my dream to become a researcher and scientist. And one of the ways I can make my dream comes true is becoming part of Indonesia Institute of Science. Indonesia Institute of Science is one of Indonesia governmental institution non ministry which runs in science and technology development sector. So in Indonesia Institute of Science comprises with so many sectors and they do many research to develop science and technology based on their sector for better Indonesia. One of Indonesian Institute of Science vision is become one of best research institution in the world.

FYI this is my 2nd time join in this competition. In my first try, I failed on interview section then I didn't make to become part of Cibodas Botanical Garden Family. One of sector in Indonesia Institute of Science that I can try to become part of it is Botanical Garden since my majority is Forestry specially Silviculture. And in this second try I applied in Botanical Garden sector as well but not in Cibodas Botanical Garden but then Purwodadi Botanical Garden. Why? Because the offered position that suitable to my majority is in Purwodadi Botanical Garden.

When my friends so excited to become part of Ministry of Forestry, I more than excited to become part of Indonesia Institute of Science. Started by such of confusing choices at first between ministry of forestry and Indonesia Institute of Science due to parents suggestion then I convinced myself to apply in Indonesia Institute of Science for the sake of my dream. But there is nothing worth comes so easy. My way to achieve my dream isn’t as smooth as I thought. At first there was trouble when I was filling the application form.

Actually before we started to fill the application form, we already found out what kind of formation offered which suitable to our field. Then generally in forestry major there were 4 formations offered as plant conservation researcher, ecology conservation researcher, biomaterial researcher and forest management researcher. In each of that formations, there was such specific requirement such as for plant conservation and ecology researcher they need bachelor from forest conservation majority and forestry major in general, for forest management researcher they need bachelor degree from forest management majority and forestry major in general, while for biomaterial researcher they need forest technology product majority and forest management majority. Then my specific majority is silviculture. At first I thought I can apply using forest majority in general but actually after I filled the form there was no formation for forest majority in general and silviculture as well. I got a shock for a moment. The formation offered just for forest conservation, forest management, and forest technology product majorities. There wasn’t formation for silviculture major and forestry in general.

Most of my friends said to give up applying in Indonesian Institute of Science. But some of them said just fill the form using any major (still related with forestry major) to apply in the position I want. And by said “Bismillahhirrohmanirrohim” I fill my majority with forest conservation major due to my intention to become a plant conservation researcher. Fortunately I passed the first step and I got a call to do the next examination.

The examination was held in Indonesian Institute of Science central office in Jakarta whereas my position is in Lombok Island, about more than 1000 km away and it is separated by 2 straits, Bali Straits and Lombok Straits. Then for the sake of better future I flew away to Jakarta. This is my very first time doing such a far journey just alone. Well life it tough and we must struggle to conquer it. Fortunately I have friends living in Jakarta and luckily one of them close with the place I did the examination. Just by following my friend’s instruction to reach out my friend place, I arrived safely although my plane delayed for about 2 hours. I was warmly welcomed and got such a great service (thanks Chang ;) ).

D-Day had been passed. I had been back to Lombok Island. By Allah permission I passed the examination and going through the next examination (still 2 examinations remaining). Then I flew away again from Lombok Island to Jakarta. Due to small gap of the time of examination 2 and 3, I decided to take some holiday chance for about 2 weeks, so then I can go back home as well. After the first examination I flew away from Jakarta to Semarang to stay for a moment in home. Home is really place where you can release all of your thought and feel so safe. I get a chance for about 5 days at home. It was such a rare chance can be at home for that long time. Then I went again to Jakarta by train for the next examination which is interview section.

On this section I had 2 strong rivals. One of them is my college friend and the other I didn’t know well. Even so, I was still doing my best, I put out my all. Then my turn had come. I was welcomed by interviewer team consist of the head of Purwodadi Botanical Garden and 2 other researchers. At first they told me to introduce myself and after that we started our interview section. I was asked some question related so many things including about my current activities, my personalities, my thesis, etc. At first I felt extremely nervous due to my past experience doing interview section I got such unpredictable questions. But in this section we didn't like doing interview but tend to discussion and chatted. For some reason I felt more relax and they gave me so many advice about life and many things. But there was something weird seems that I was eliminated since the beginning. They told me to never give up to try joining in this institution because actually I have some potential but due to so many reason they can’t accept me. They said if I weren't accepted it didn't mean that I was bad but may be there were person better than me. I didn't know what the meaning behind those kinds of advice. Maybe just for teasing me or warning me to never give up with the failure. Yeah I would be a big liar if I said I didn't care with the result of my struggling in this competition. I do care with the result and I’m wishing the best result for me. But if this chance still was not my chance as well at least I had given my best. So nothing must be regret. But in my deepest heart I’m still hoping I can be a part of this family ‘Indonesian Institute of Science Family’.

All of the steps had been passed. Since I had given my best, my all, then just let Allah do the rest. I believe whatever the result be, it definitely the best thing for me. Just dream hard, work harder, and pray hardest. And all I can do now just waiting the final announcement while praying for the best. J


P.S. This story dedicated to my interviewers Dr. Hendrian as head of Purwodadi Botanical Garden, Dr. Titut and Mr. Deden as researcher of Purwodadi Botanical Garden who told me to write about my interview experience. I wish they can read it kkkkk I do sorry with being messy in my English. 


Masbagik 061214 10.40 am WITA
Rinjani Timur Forest Management Unit Office
In a cloudy Saturday

2 comments:

  1. waw... amazing script uma..
    i like your script....
    thanks for your story, it make me happy..
    good experience!
    be succesfull uma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hai mbak Dea long time no see hehe
      Thank you Mbak :) Alhamdulillah if this story came in useful
      Amin ya rabbalalamin you too !!! Thanks a lot for reading and leaving a comment hehe

      Delete